Recipe by Mand1642
These are sweet pancake-like breads from the Azores.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I have never had a "bread" like this before. I cut the recipe back to make 5 which actually made 6 LOL The first bite I was " I don't think I like these" well the next thing I knew one was gone LOL. DH LOVES them and so do I. The sweetness was "strange " at first. We split and toasted the leftovers for breakfast. YUM Made to say Thanks for being a great team mate on Zaar Chow Hounds during ZWT 5
- 7 g dry active yeast
- 59.16 ml warm water
- 200 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 750 g plain flour
- 275 ml skim milk
- 50 g cooled melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with a pinch of the sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the yeast mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the sugar, eggs, salt, flour and milk until the dough comes together. Stir in the butter, then turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover dough with a cloth and set aside to rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into about 15 to 20 pieces, and shape them into flat round cakes about 1cm (1/2 in) thick. Place a cloth on the table and dust it with flour. Arrange the cakes on the cloth, allowing space for rising. Allow them to sit for 1 1/2 hours.
- Place the cakes in a heavy ungreased frying pan, and cook over low heat. Fry the cakes on each side until golden.