1/2 Photos of Portuguese Bolo Levedo
These are sweet pancake-like breads from the Azores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with a pinch of the sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- 2Transfer the yeast mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the sugar, eggs, salt, flour and milk until the dough comes together. Stir in the butter, then turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover dough with a cloth and set aside to rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- 3Divide dough into about 15 to 20 pieces, and shape them into flat round cakes about 1cm (1/2 in) thick. Place a cloth on the table and dust it with flour. Arrange the cakes on the cloth, allowing space for rising. Allow them to sit for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Place the cakes in a heavy ungreased frying pan, and cook over low heat. Fry the cakes on each side until golden.
Browse Our Top Portuguese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Bolo Levedo
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 44.6 mg
- Sodium 127.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g