Recipe by Cathy17
I made some burgers and thought I'd experiment a bit and came up with a wonderfully delicious topping for grilled or broiled burgers! Follow your favorite recipe for making hamburgers and top with this tasty combination. This works well for 4 burgers.
Top Review by Derf
Nice tasty topping for our burgers, I used fried garlic from the Oriental store and just made half a recipe for the two of us; just one huge portabello. Also used aged cheddar slices; the touch of red wine was a nice touch, it added a lot of taste. We will probably use this recipe again, thanks for sharing.
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stem cut off, sliced into strips
- 1 medium Spanish onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine (optional) or 1 tablespoon red wine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat Oil in a non stick skillet.
- Add garlic and sautée for one minute.
- Add Spanish onions and cook until almost translucent.
- Add sliced portobello mushrooms and sautée until cooked and reduced, about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add optional red wine or cooking wine, mix well until reduced.
- Set aside once finished.
- When burgers are almost ready, top with portabello mushroom mixture and a slice of cheese, continue grilling or broiling until cheese is melted.