Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I picked the recipe up from the Southern Food section of About.com. My family loves Port Wine Cheese, but we've only had the pre-packaged Wispride version before. I'm looking forward to trying this for the holidays.
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- In a small bowl, combine wine and melted butter.
- In a food processor, combine Cheddar cheese, sour cream, salt, and cayenne pepper. Process until mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the butter and wine mixture, processing until smooth.
- Store in airtight container and refrigerate for 24 hours for best flavor. Serve with assorted crackers. (Cooking time stated is meld time in refrigerator.).
Oh wow! This spread is amazing! Don't save it for a special occasion... Go make it now! It tastes like Wispride only better and a lot fresher! I'm thinking of giving this as a Christmas gift this year.
My DH and I really liked the taste, but the addition of the wine and butter caused it to be thick, not solid like the port wine cheese that I enjoy. It actually is more of a dip than a spread. I'll keep trying, and if I can get it right, I'll rate this again!
I made this for Christmas for 2 teen boys and my boyfriend and they simply could NOT stop eating it!!! This one is definitely a "keeper". Thank you for the great recipe!