Recipe by mix'n vix'n
From Love at First Bite: The Complete Vampire Lover's Cookbook. The title of this dish is "Swine Bites" in the book but I changed it to something a bit more appealing, to me anyways :)) Special Tools: 12-18 Asian soup spoons, 12-18 toothpicks (You can also make the creamy pesto sauce in a blender)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces unflavored mascarpone cheese, room temp (or cream cheese)
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage link, cut at an angle into 12-18 even bite-sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Fit the bowl of a food processor with the metal blade. With the motor running, drop the garlic through the feed tube. add the basil, olive oil, and Parmesan, and process until smooth. Add a little bit more oil if needed. The basil mixture should be a paste-like consistency. Add the mascarpone and process, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the motor running, add 1 tbsp of the cream, along with the salt and pepper. The pesto should be thick but pourable. Add more cream, little by little, until the proper consistency is achieved. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage pieces and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cover the pan and cook through, about 12-14 minutes.
- To serve, arrange spoons on a serving platter. Spear each sausage piece with a toothpick and place it on one of the spoons. Drizzle about 1 tsp of the mascarpone pesto over each sausage piece. Serve Warm.