Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like the taste of fennel seed this is a wonderful dish! A quick and easy recipe, but good enough to serve to guests! Recipe from Homemakers Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- In skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium heat.
- Cook onions, stirring often, until tender and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut pork into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick medallions; season with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper. Set aside.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium-high heat; fry fennel seeds for 10 seconds.
- Add pork; brown on both sides, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in wine and increase heat to high; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn over pork and cook, uncovered, until wine is reduced to about 2 tbsp (30 mL), 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer pork to warm serving plate. Set aside.
- Add onions and parsley to skillet and heat through, about 1 minute; serve over pork.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Serving suggestion - nice with garlic spaghetti, and a tomato and lettuce leaf salad dressed with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkled with chopped fresh mint.
Elly this is wonderful! I followed exactly and paired with your Skillet Roasted Potatoes
.Skillet Potatoes for a great weekend dinner for Mike and I. Leftovers just as fabulous and even moe so as the flavors sat around partying with each other into the pork. Fabulous. I rarely use fennel and need to add that to my regulars. What a lovely flavor it imparts. Made in honour of your lovely husband.
What a great pork dish! We love fennel, so I used fresh fennel bulb for 1 of the onions. Sauteed it along with the onion. Forgot the parsley, found it sitting on the cutting board after we had eaten! Duh!!! Served this with Elly's "Skillet Roasted Potatoes" and sauteed chanterelles. Yummy Indian Summer dinner! Thanks, Elly. My picture doesn't do the dish justice. Will try again next time I make the dish:)