Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Easy to make and tasty meal. Meatballs can be made ahead of time and frozen. I hope you like it. Prep time includes chopping the onion and pepper.
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped up finely
- 1⁄2 cut green pepper, chopped up finely
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 1 can sliced tomatoes
- Combine first 7 ingredients, mixing well to combine.
- Shape hamburger mixture into roughly 20-24 meatballs about 1 1/2 inches around.
- Place meatballs in crockpot and pour soup and tomatoes (plus juice from tomatoes) over the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4.
- I usually make the meatballs the night before, or even a week before, then freeze them until ready to use.
- Makes for a real quick preparation time.
These are great! I had to alter the recipe slightly because of dietary issues. Instead of tomato soup I used a 6 oz can of tomato paste and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and a little bit of sugar. I usually use fire roasted tomatoes, but didn't have any tonight, so I just used a 15 oz can tomato sauce and added basil, garlic powder and onion powder. I ended up adding another 15 oz can of tomato sauce because I'm using a 5 qt crock pot and it wasn't even half full so this cooked quickly. I hope to get a smaller crock pot for this and other smaller recipes. I've put off posting this review because of the changes I made, but I decided this might help other people that have gluten problems enjoy this recipe. Thanks for giving me a great starting place!
These were soooo good!!! I loved the addition of the onion and green pepper. Easy to make and toss in the crock pot. I doubled the batch since I was feeding 3 hungry guys and used a pint of homemade tomatoe soup that I make. Only had 1 meatball left. I am making some more and putting them in the freezer since I have a bunch of green peppers to use up. It will be nice to grab some out when I am busy, pour some soup over them and let them go. Thanks for the great recipe, it's a keeper.
Great recipe! I doubled the recipe for my family and used a 5 qt slow cooker. I made the meatballs first, froze them, then added the sauce and froze everything together. I then partially thawed everything and cooked on low for about 6 hours. Everyone loved them and I will definitely make again. I think the next time I will either freeze the meatballs alone and add the sauce right before cooking or thaw everything completely - I had a slight problem with the meatballs breaking apart and I think it had to do with freezing / partially thawing.