Recipe by Dee514
My hubby's mother used to make this frequently, for holidays and other special occasions. Prep time includes rising times.
- 2 cups milk, warmed to 105 to 115 degrees f
- 1 ounce household yeast (1/2 cake)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 7 -8 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Egg Wash for brushing rolls
- 2 eggs, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk, beaten well
- 8 ounces poppy seeds, crushed (or whirled in a blender)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4-1 cup unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Poppyseed Filling: Melt margarine in a skillet, add ground poppyseeds and cook, stirring, for about 4-6 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in confectioner's sugar, honey, lemon peel and raisins.
- Mix well.
- Fold into stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Dough: In a large bowl, crumble yeast into lukewarm milk.
- Add sugar and egg yolks, mix with a beater until well blended and set mixture aside for 1 hour.
- In another large bowl, combine 7 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 pound margarine and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mixing together as you would for pie crust.
- Add egg mixture, working dough until it comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Grease dough and cover with a towel to rise in a warm draft free place until doubled.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each piece of dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread filling to desired thickness on each dough rectangle, leaving about 1/4 inch of dough along the edge uncovered by filling.
- Roll dough up, like you would for a jelly roll.
- Pinch along the edge to seal.
- Place rolls (seam side down) on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush each roll with egg wash*.
- Cut several small slits across top of each roll.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise about 20 minutes.
- Place rolls in preheated 350°F oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until done.
- Carefully remove rolls to wire rack to cool.