Recipe by KseL
My recipe clone of the famous fried chicken from the Popeye's fast food restaurant chain.
- 4 whole chicken wings
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons zatarain creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning, flavor enhancer (monosodium glutamate)
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken bouillon cube (or reduced sodium)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain corn flakes (crushed)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and clean chicken.
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups buttermilk, sea salt and hot sauce. Stir well. Add chicken pieces to bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour turning wings once in buttermilk. In a separate bowl combine egg, 1/2 cup buttermilk,and flour.
- Remove chicken from bowl and dip in batter.
- Season chicken with Zatarain, turmeric, white pepper, chicken bouillon and Accent.
- Pour cornflakes in separate bowl and dip chicken pieces in cornflakes,making sure to coat them evenly.
- In a medium cast iron skillet heat vegetable oil to 350°F Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Fry for about 15- 20 minutes covered, turning once.
- Remove chicken from pan, drain on paper towel and serve.