Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I saw another recipe posted for a Popcorn Candy Cake. It's a little bit different than this one (and actually looks fabulous). I think I cut this recipe out of one of the Taste of Home Magazine inserts. It's definitely for someone with a sweet tooth. Kids would love this.... The time noted is the time for the cake to set.
- In a large saucepan, melt marshmallows, oil and butter until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn, gumdrops and peanuts.
- Add marshmallow mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 10 inches tube pan. (A one-piece tube pan is recommended).
- Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Dip pan in hot water for 5-10 seconds to unmold.
- Slice cake with an electric or serrate knife.
I love seeing this version of the popcorn cake, having had it in my childhood 40 years ago. I prefer the use of (spice) gumdrops to M&M's. My mom made it during the Christmas holiday, adding to the magic of the season. It remains a favorite of our family today.
I would definately recommend this recipe....it is delicious...I did not make it, but when I do, I would try cutting the vegetable oil down to 1/2 cup. I think M&M's would be good also, instead of the gumdrops. Someone at work thought they might try candy corn and peanuts for Thanksgiving.