Recipe by Kathleen Maguire
I kinda made this up as I went along, but my husband loves it! It's so much easier to make compared to the real thing, and a lot cheaper than going out to eat.
- 1 medium shallot (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (salted)
- 10 medium white mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 lbs chicken tenderloins (or boneless skinless breasts)
- 1 garlic clove (pressed)
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 cup white wine (whatever you drink when your cooking he he)
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry sheets
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or 2 tbsp rendered chicken stock)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a stock pot I heat up the wine, shallots, garlic, butter, and bouillon on medium temperature.
- When wine has reduced somewhat and garlic is fragrant add chicken (I usually cube my chicken pieces). Cook on med high temperature.
- When chicken has cooked in the fragrant wine broth, add mushrooms.
- Continue to cook for about 3 minutes and then add remaining ingredients (except the pastry sheets) and stir.
- (Sometimes I will add heavy cream to this as well, but it's your preference).
- Cook for another 5 minutes and watch as it reduces.
- Using a loaf pan (sprayed with PAM) I layer pastry sheets between the chicken/mushroom sauce (about 6-7 high).
- On final layer of pastry I brush a little egg wash on for shine.
- Then bake at 350°F until the pastry is flaky/puffed/golden brown.