Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This jelly filled cookie topped with ground almond makes a festive cookie tray at Christmas.
Make and share this Pomegranate Jelly Almond Thumbprints recipe from Food.com.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 354.88 ml slivered almonds (6 ounces)
- 158.51 ml granulated sugar, divided
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 7.39 ml pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 78.07 ml slivered almonds, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- 177.44 ml pomegranate jelly
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or leave ungreased.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine almonds and 1/3 cup of sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Pulse until finely ground. (Be careful not to grind to a paste).
- Combine butter and remaining sugar in a medium bowl.
- Cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add ground almond and sugar mixture combine to mix.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks combine to mix.
- Mix in flour.
- Roll dough into walnut-size balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Dip your thumbs in flour and use to make a deep indentation in center of each cookie.
- Whisk egg whites to loosen them and then brush outside of each cookie with egg white.
- Scatter a few chopped almonds on outer edge of each cookie if desired.
- Fill each center with 1/2 teaspoon of jelly.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- If needed, immediately add another 1/4 teaspoon of jelly to each cookie.
- Let stand for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks with a thin metal spatula.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
This is a good cookie... I must have made mine really big because I only had 2 dozen. -- changing my rating to 5 stars at the request of my husband. ;-)