Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
If you love pomegranates, you should give this one a try :) It has a refreshingly different flavor. Prep time does not include freezing time.
- 9 ounces mascarpone cheese (soft Italian cream cheese)
- 10 ounces double cream or 10 ounces heavy cream
- 4 pomegranates
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- Halve the pomegranates and knock the seeds out of one by hitting the back with a wooden spoon.
- Let the seeds fall into a bowl and set aside for garnish.
- Take the other 3 and squeeze the juice**, preferably in an electric juicer.
- Place the juice in a small saucepan and boil to reduce to approximately 4 ounces or until it thickens slightly and becomes syrupy.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine the Mascarpone and cream and whisk until just blended.
- Whisk in the pomegranate syrup and sugar and freeze in a plastic container (you can try using your electric ice cream freezer, if you don't think the"base mixture" is too thick for it to handle).
- Allow to soften before serving.
- Scoop the ice-cream on to a plate and sprinkle with the reserved seeds.
- **Note:Getting the seeds out of a pomegranate is best done by cutting it in half, holding the cut side down over a bowl and hitting the top side several times with a heavy wooden spoon.
- If you want the juice, extract it as you would from an orange or lemon.
- ** 1 medium sized pomegranate will yield about 1/2 cup of juice or about 3/4 cup of seeds.