Recipe by Chabear01
Posted for ZWT II 2006 - Mexico. Recipe found on recipelink submitted there by Gladys for Cinco De Mayo celebration meals. Be prepared to use some unusual and different ingredients here, which probably can be purchased from a Carniceria or Mexican Specialty Shop. Marinating time not included in prep or cooking time as it is passive time that can be spent cleaning the house...like yah right...lol.
- 2 ounces achiote paste (1/2 brick)
- 1⁄4 cup bitter orange juice (or use half sweet orange juice with half vinegar)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 banana leaves, passed over a burner to soften
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, deviened, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To Marinate:.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients (achiote paste through oregano) in large, non-reactive bowl, mixing thoroughly to dissolve the achiote paste. Place the chicken pieces in the bowl and marinate overnight. Refrigerate.
- To Cook:.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 8x11 inch baking dish.
- Place two of the banana leaves side by side lengthwise (the will overlap slightly) and two widthwise. Place the chicken and its marinade on top of the leaves in the baking dish.
- Fold the leaves over the chicken, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes.