1 hr 25 mins
Posted for ZWT II 2006 - Mexico. Recipe found on recipelink submitted there by Gladys for Cinco De Mayo celebration meals. Be prepared to use some unusual and different ingredients here, which probably can be purchased from a Carniceria or Mexican Specialty Shop. Marinating time not included in prep or cooking time as it is passive time that can be spent cleaning the house...like yah right...lol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces achiote paste (1/2 brick)
- 1/4 cup bitter orange juice (or use half sweet orange juice with half vinegar)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 banana leaves, passed over a burner to soften
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, deviened, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1To Marinate:.
- 2Combine the first 6 ingredients (achiote paste through oregano) in large, non-reactive bowl, mixing thoroughly to dissolve the achiote paste. Place the chicken pieces in the bowl and marinate overnight. Refrigerate.
- 3To Cook:.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 8x11 inch baking dish.
- 5Place two of the banana leaves side by side lengthwise (the will overlap slightly) and two widthwise. Place the chicken and its marinade on top of the leaves in the baking dish.
- 6Fold the leaves over the chicken, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes.
- 7Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Ticul - Yucatecan Style Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.7
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 167.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 44.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: