Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe from all recipes
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 18 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fresh
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- In a large covered skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Arrange potatoes in the skillet to cover the bottom.
- Scatter garlic cloves over potatoes.
- Place chicken on top of garlic and potatoes.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt, and parsley over chicken.
- Pour sherry and port over all.
- Cover, and simmer over low heat until potatoes and chicken are cooked through, approximately 45 minutes.
Other than the pain of peeling garlic cloves, this is pretty easy to put together. It is a bit like the French coq au vin. The only thing I would change is maybe doing the sherry/port mix 50-50. Couldn't taste the port. I used Yukon Golds and left the peels on, which worked fine. Made for ZWT8.