Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These were a great favourite of mine as a child; after all, how often did we get to have something yummy with fruit for a main course? I make them in late summer when fresh prune plums are plentiful but they can also be made with apricots. Please note that the time required for the dough to rest is included in the cooking time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 24 plums
- Wash fruit in cold water and dry thoroughly; set aside until ready to use.
- Combine flour, melted butter, egg yolks, salt and enough milk to make a soft dough that pulls.
- Cover and let stand about half an hour.
- Roll out thinly on a floured board, cut into 24 small squares and wrap a plum in each.
- Cook in boiling salted water for about 10 minutes; cooked dumplings will float to the top.
- Drain and serve sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
These are fantastic! My Babci and my Mom always made these with blueberries inside. I like the flavor of the blueberries better. BUT with the sticky dough it's certainly easier with 1 piece of fruit!!
Very tasty - thanks for such a great recipe! Wrapping the plums with the sticky dough was kind of a pain, but the result is definitely worth it. I can't wait to try these cold tomorrow!
i have been looking for this recipe for years. thank-you.