1/1 Photo of Polenta with Green Beans
This is a different and tasty side dish with an Italian flare, thanks to the cooked polenta. Coarsely-ground cornmeal is sometimes labelled "polenta", a little shopping hint if you have trouble finding it at your supermarket. An Italian market will have it if you strike out at your regular grocery story.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chicken stock (using water makes this a vegetarian dish)
- 1 cup coarsely-ground cornmeal (, finely ground won't work as well)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1Over medium heat in a large pot, bring stock to a boil (use water to make this a vegetarian dish).
- 2Very slowly, whisk in cornmeal.
- 3Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking very frequently; polenta will be thick.
- 4Season well with salt and pepper and, with a wooden spoon, beat in the cheese.
- 5Oil an 8-inch baking dish and pour polenta in; smooth top and set aside to cool.
- 6Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- 7Cut polenta into squares and place on an oiled baking sheet.
- 8Bake for 15 minutes or until polenta squares are slightly browned.
- 9Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to boil and add beans.
- 10Cook for 2 minute; drain; rinse under cold water and set aside.
- 11In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil; when hot, add garlic, red pepper and the beans.
- 12Saute until peppers have softened and garlic is golden, about 5 minutes.
- 13Season veggies with salt and pepper.
- 14Place polenta squares on a serving platter and top with veggies; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta with Green Beans
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.2
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.2 mg
- Sodium 547.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 14.2 g