Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great appetizer that can be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven or on a grill. I love to stir in freshly chopped cilantro before pouring into baking pan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce package onion soup mix
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno peppers or 1 cherry pepper, chopped,to taste (I like more)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup feta
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F.
- Bring the water, milk and butter to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan.
- With a wire whisk, stir in the cornmeal and onion soup mix.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in corn and peppers.
- Spread the mixture in a lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in 350° degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let stand until cool and firm.
- When cool, cut into triangles.
- (cut into larger squares and cut squares in half to form triangles).
- At this point it can be refrigerated or frozen.
- When ready to serve, place on cookie sheet and reheat in oven or place on grill to heat until hot and a little crispy.
Notes for future cooks of this recipe: This only made 12 smallish triangles for me and I doubled the amount of corn called for. Perhaps my onion soup mix wasn't well spiced, so I added some "potato spice" and "lemon pepper" before baking. Having said that, these are amazing! I cannot stop eating them!! I used red peppers and green jalapenos for a lovely colour combo and a mix of cheddar and extra-mature cheddar for the topping. The wedges reheat beautifully and are so tasty warm or cold. I had some the next day topped with ham for lunch - yummy! I'm sure this is a very adaptable recipe and will try adding some different ingredients each time (chopped ham, olives, mushrooms - endless variations come to mind). Thank you, chef luvmybge, for a super recipe - a keeper for me, for sure :)