lamb and cheese enclosed in herbed rye pastry If you want to make this with leftover lamb, skip step 7 and add the lamb, salt and pepper when you mix in the cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup cold salted butter, cut up
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 green onions, green and white parts separated, chopped
- 3 lbs boneless lamb chops, trimmed of excess fat, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Combine all-purpose flour, rye flour, rosemary and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well.
- 2Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Add cold water one tablespoon at a time, mixing gently just until all flour is blended in and dough can be formed into a ball.
- 4Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while making filling.
- 5Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- 6Add white part of onions and cook, stirring, until they just begin to brown.
- 7Add lamb, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, pouring off excess liquid if necessary.
- 8Add green part of onions and cook 1 minute more.
- 9Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 10Add cheese and mix well.
- 11Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 12Divide dough into 12 portions.
- 13Place 1 portion of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 6 inch circle.
- 14Place a spoonful of filling slightly below center of dough circle.
- 15Fold top of dough over to form a half-moon shape. Press edges firmly together.
- 16Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 17Place pastry pockets on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 18Mix egg and water and brush over tops of pastries.
- 19Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pockets Full of Rye
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.9
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 140.5 mg
- Sodium 626.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless lamb chops