Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
lamb and cheese enclosed in herbed rye pastry If you want to make this with leftover lamb, skip step 7 and add the lamb, salt and pepper when you mix in the cheese.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup cold salted butter, cut up
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 green onions, green and white parts separated, chopped
- 3 lbs boneless lamb chops, trimmed of excess fat, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine all-purpose flour, rye flour, rosemary and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water one tablespoon at a time, mixing gently just until all flour is blended in and dough can be formed into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while making filling.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add white part of onions and cook, stirring, until they just begin to brown.
- Add lamb, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, pouring off excess liquid if necessary.
- Add green part of onions and cook 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add cheese and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 12 portions.
- Place 1 portion of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 6 inch circle.
- Place a spoonful of filling slightly below center of dough circle.
- Fold top of dough over to form a half-moon shape. Press edges firmly together.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place pastry pockets on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Mix egg and water and brush over tops of pastries.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve hot.