Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A favorite of guests at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Please note: cook time does NOT include overnight refrigeration. This dough can be kept in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- In a small bowl dissolve yeast in water. Set aside.
- In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and sugar.
- Cut in shortening.
- Add the yeast mixture, then buttermilk.
- Mix batter by hand until dough is formed.
- Cover dough and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Two hours before serving, remove dough from refrigerator and place on floured counter.
- Punch down and knead slightly.
- Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with biscuit cutter.
- Brush tops with melted butter and fold over.
- Place on well-greased baking sheet, cover, and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Rebrush tops of rolls with butter.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.