Recipe by *Alia*
A lovely and elegant dessert.
Top Review by nott
Wow! These are devine. I used only 1/2 c. honey, and 2 T. orange juice concentrate since I did not have oranges. I also used 1/4 c. empire cream sherry and 1/4 c. krischwasser since I had no brandy. It was delicious. I highly recommend this recipe.
- 2 cups turkish sun- dried apricots
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 oranges, juice of, and rinds cut into slices
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds off
- 1 cup blanched almond, whole
For the base
- gingerbread, cut into 6 rounds
For the sauce
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 cup Amarula cream liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-soak the apricots in boiling water just cover them. Add water as needed to keep apricots just covered.
- When the apricots are moist and swollen, remove them and place the apricots in a glass bowl with the brandy and orange juice let them steep for 20 minutes.
- Place the apricots in a sauce pan with the juice and brandy, add the honey, orange rinds, cardamom seeds and almonds and cook for 10 minutes.
- Lift the apricots from the pot with slotted spoon place in a bowl till needed, add a little more honey and brandy to the almonds and cook for a few minutes more.
- Stir the apricots back into the nuts gently.
- Sauce: Heat the cream and reduce by half, add the Amarula and heat through, remove from the heat.
- Spoon the Amarula cream onto 6 white plates.
- Place a round of ginger bread in the middle of each puddle and spoon over the apricots and nuts.