1/6 Photos of Po Boy Bread
Red Apple Guy's Note:
My take on a basic French bread recipe from "Lee Bailey's New Orleans". This version adds flavor with a poolish and is more hydrated. A poolish is just part of the flour and water and a little yeast which ferments before the bread is made, adding flavor. Very good bread. Times listed don't include rising or proofing times.
My Private Note
16 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g all-purpose flour (1 1/4 cup)
- 150 g water (2/3 cup at room temperature)
- 1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1Mix the poolish ingredients well, cover, and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 9 hours until bubbly, doubled in volume, and sweet smelling.
- 2This can be used then or refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- 3Add poolish and all other ingredients except salt to the bowl of a mixer and knead with the dough hook until all dry ingredients are wetted.
- 4Cover bowl and let sit for 20 minutes.
- 5Add salt and knead for 8 to 10 minuts until smooth.
- 6Tip out onto lightly floured counter and stretch the doughn into a rectangle. Fold the dough letter-style, top downward, bottom upward, and sides inward until a packet is formed.
- 7Place in straight sided clear container sprayed with oil, cover and let rest at room temperature until doubled in volume (about 1 1/2 hours).
- 8Divide into 4 pieces. Roll into baguettes about 16 inches long.
- 9Place on a floured cloth with folds to support the baguettes. Cover with sprayed plastic film.
- 10Let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour as oven heats to 400F with steam pan (skillets work well with water added just before baking).
- 11Score and bake in steam for 10 minutes. Remove pan, rotate loaves, and bake for 8 more minutes until 205F internally.
- 12Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Po Boy Bread
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.8
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 779.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 11.0 g