Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hope this is as good as Mrs. Van Z's.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh plums
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 3⁄4 ounces powdered fruit pectin (1 pkg.)
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Remove and discard pits from plums (do not peel).
- Chop plums into 1/2" pieces.
- Combine chopped plums, orange rind and orange juice in a large Dutch oven.
- Stir in powdered fruit pectin.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar.
- Return to a rolling boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam.
- Stir 5 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Quickly spoon hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
- Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath for 15 minutes.