Recipe by EveryoneLovesaSpringer
A Greek baked macaroni dish that will surely please anyone! This recipe came from a friend's mother (yes - she is Greek!). According to her, any grated cheese will do. I have made this with cheddar, with mozzarella, and with a mixture of parmesan and romano. It is delicious whatever you use!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 quart hot milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- grated cheese, of your choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt first 4 TBSP butter in saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring until mixture is golden. Gradually stir in hot milk; continue stirring until sauce is smooth and thick. Add salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
- When partly cooled, stir in lightly beaten eggs (3).
- In large pan, saute onion in 2 TBSP butter until golden.
- Add meat and cook, stirring until meat is browned. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Add water and tomato paste and cook for five minutes. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- When pasta is lukewarm, mix well with eggs and 1/2 TBSP salt.
- Put half macaroni mixture in buttered 9x13x2 inch pan. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese.
- Add meat mixture and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Add remaining macaroni and sprinkle again with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from over and top with cream sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes longer or until golden brown.