Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Garlic and mint sauce for Plantains. Best made fresh. It will keep but loses something during storage.
- 4 large green plantains
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Peel by cutting off ends of plantains and then cutting in half crosswise. Cut away peel with sharp knife. Trim off any remaining peel. Then cut half lenghtwise.
- Put in pot with salt and enough water to cover. Simmer 25 minutes or until you can easily pierce with fork and have texture of boiled potatoes.
- DRAIN CAREFULLY. Platains are now fragile. Place on serving dishs and pass the salt, pepper and sauce at the table.
- Mint: Use the leaves from one small bunch.
- Garlic: Mince and crush to paste.
- Finely chop mint and oregano [or marjoram] and combine with rest of ingredients.