Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was an interesting idea and I'm definitely going to come up with other fillings for this omelette as well. The plantains are a bit sweet and the garlic cashew cheese compliments them very nicely. I think sauteed onions, garlic, bell peppers, avocado, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and diced fried potatoes in any combination would work as well. You can substitute green bananas if you can't get plantains. Feel free to use vegan cheese instead of the nut cheese. You can also boil the plantains ahead of time and let cool in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the dish. This is not an "egg substitute" - this is a whole new spin off here and it actually really works - nice breakfast meal and very satisfying without all the artery clogging. Adapted from Vegan Fusion World Cuisine by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi
- 4 small plantains (3 cups mashed) or 4 small green bananas (3 cups mashed)
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- coconut oil, for sauteing
- 2 cups cashews or 2 cups macadamia nuts or 2 cups pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup shoyu (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- Cut the ends off the plantains (or bananas) and score the sides. Place the scored plantains in a 3 quart sauce pan, cover with water, and boil for 20 minutes until you can easily poke a fork through them.
- While waiting on bananas, combine cashews, lemon, shoyu, garlic and oil in a food processor and process until smooth, set aside.
- Drain the water from the bananas and let cool (I just throw them in the freezer for a couple minutes). Remove peels which should come off easily and place plantains in a large mixing bowl. Mash with a fork or masher.
- Add flour and baking powder to plantains and knead into a dough. Separate dough into 4 pieces. Roll into balls. Flour the counter and roll the balls into 5 inch circles.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot. (cast iron works well). Pour a small amount of coconut oil into skillet and fry cake on one side until golden, approximately 3 minutes.
- Flip and cover ½ of cooked side with nut cheese, green onions, carrots and cilantro. Once underside is done fold over like an omelet and serve hot.