Mary Butterfield's Note:
Passed onto me from a friend on a journaling site
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole side salmon or 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, preferably gray salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- melted butter, for brushing salmon
- 2 untreated cedar planks, each about 5 by 12-inches, soaked in water to cover for at least 12 hours (available at hardware stores)
- extra virgin olive oil, for oiling the planks
- 1Preheat the broiler. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2If using a side of salmon, cut about halfway through the flesh about every 5 to 6-inches so there are some spaces for the glazes to sink inches If using salmon fillets, slice about 8 to 10 sliced angles into flesh, to help flesh more completely soak in the glaze.
- 3In a small bowl or cup, mix the salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
- 4In a medium glass bowl, heat the honey in the microwave for 30 seconds to liquefy further. Remove from the microwave and mix in balsamic vinegar.
- 5Brush the top of the salmon fillets (not the skin side) with the melted butter. Season the flesh side with the spice mixture. Brush with the honey-balsamic mixture, reserving some for later.
- 6Put the soaked planks under the hot broiler, about 5 inches from the heat source, until the wood is browned on top, about 3 minutes. With tongs, carefully remove the planks from the oven.
- 7Immediately brush the browned surface with olive oil, then lay the salmon fillets on the oiled surface, skin side down.
- 8Put 2 cookie sheets in the oven below where the planks will go to catch any glazes or juices that run off. Return the planks to the broiler and cook the fish for 10 minutes. Baste with honey-balsamic and place in oven. Cook until it is done to your taste, about 10 to 15 more minutes, or 20 minutes total for medium.
- 9Remove the fillets to a platter, or immediately serve directly from the planks.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Planked Salmon With Honey-Balsamic Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.9
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.6 mg
- Sodium 1843.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 34.8 g
- Protein 31.9 g