Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Shape magazine
- 12 ounces prebaked plain whole wheat pizza crusts (found in bakery or frozen food section)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces precooked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices (smoked or seasoned with mixed Italian herbs)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup prepared pizza or 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese, about 1 cup
- 2 ounces grated asiago cheese or 2 ounces parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place pizza crust on a lightly oiled or nonstick baking sheet and set aside.
- Warm olive oil in a saucepan, over medium heat. Add sausage and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add couscous, water, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork to separate grains. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread sauce evenly on pizza crust, then top with couscous and sausage mixture. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and bake until crust and cheeses are browned, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting into 8 slices.