Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an incredible taste treat. For the gourmet foodie!
- 2 large leeks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried sherry wine
- 1 medium bosc pear
- 1 pre-cooked 12-inch pizza crust (yours or something like Boboli)
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Trim off and discard the root ends and the dark green portion of the leeks.
- Cut them in half lengthwise and discard the toughest outer layers.
- Rinse thoroughly between the layers to remove any grit.
- Pat the leeks dry and slice them crosswise into thin shreds.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saute pan and add the leeks, rosemary, and salt.
- Saute, stirring occasionally, until tender and nicely browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the sherry and stir until the liquid dissolves.
- Slice the pear in half lengthwise and cut out the core section.
- Slice each half thinly and gently toss the slices with the lemon juice.
- Transfer the leeks to the pizza crust and spread them out evenly, leaving about a 1-inch border all around the outside free of topping.
- Arrange the sliced pears in a single layer on top of the leeks.
- Evenly distribute the blue cheese over the pears.
- Sprinkle on the paprika.
- Bake the pizza 4 inches from the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
I rate it 3 stars because the bake/broil instructions were confusing to me. The instructions said to preheat the broiler and bake 4-inches from the broiler for about 10 minutes ~ The recipe had no oven temperature to bake, so I broiled! I knew 4-inches was too close and would burn if broiled for 10 minutes. I set my timer for FIVE MINUTES and broiled my pizza TEN INCHES from the broiler element, but I didn't stand and watch as I should have! Next time I will spread the toppings to the edge, and I will watch the broiler! :) Or, maybe I'll bake it directly on the rack (not in a pan), in a preheated 375F oven til the blue cheese melts! This deserves 5 stars for flavor combination ~ I LOVED the leeks, rosemary, sherry, pears, and blue cheese together!
The combination of flavors sounds odd but don't be afraid - this is amazing!