Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Served with a green salad, this sandwich makes a terrific lunch or dinner.
- 2 loaves Italian bread
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) package Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagesliced pepperoni
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- Cut about 1/2 inch from the top of each loaf of bread; set aside.
- Hollow out bottom portion leaving a 1/2 inch shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Brush insides of shells and crust with 4 tbsps oil.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes or until toasted.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, bacon, pepperoni, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses.
- Spoon into bread shells; replace tops and brush with remaining oil.
- Bake 15 minutes or longer until heated through.