Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Serve with crusty Italian bread
- 1 lb lean ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bottled mushroom marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces very thinly sliced pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 375°; in a large bowl, mix the beef, sausage, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, egg, and ¼ cup marinara sauce together, using your hands.
- Pat the mixture evenly to cover the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish; bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil; cook the onion and garlic over med-low heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until the onion is very soft.
- Spread the onion and the remaining ¾ cup marinara sauce over the partially cooked meat, then layer with the cheese and pepperoni.
- Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the meatloaf stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
This was very easy to make, and tasted great. What a neat spin on meatloaf. My meatloaf-hating boyfriend loved it. Thanks so much!