Recipe by peppermintkitty
I've only made this once, but it was very good and will make it again. I served it with garlic bread, but garlic sticks and a side salad would also be nice. I got this from our local news paper. I liked it because the ingredients are simple, (I make my own pasta sauce), and it's quick to prepare leaving you with a hot, satisfying warm meal. Thanks for trying this.
Top Review by theamazingamber
I wouldn't call applesauce "apple pie", and I wouldn't call this recipe "pizza pot pie" (pizza casserole, or even pizza bake would be more honest). The use of "pot pie" in the title really irks me. Semantics aside, the recipe is tasty and I love how quick and easy it is to make. :-)
- 8 ounces wagon wheel macaroni
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) jartraditional-style pasta sauce (I use my own home made)
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cut into thin slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, break apart Italian sausage and cook over medium heat in a large skillet, until done, about 5-7 minutes add in onion, oregano, basil and pepper, stir well Drain excess fat.
- Stir cooked sausage, onion, oregano, basil and pepper into pasta sauce in an ungreased 9-inch deep dish pie plate or 2 1/2 quart. casserole dish.
- Add cooked pasta, blend well.
- Cover top completely with mozzarella slices.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is hot.
- Great served with garlic bread or garlic sticks and a side salad.