I ate so many of these when I was a kid! They are so so good. Courtesy of Héctor Rodriguéz @ about.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 2 cups pizza cheese
- 1 1/2 cups pepperoni (diced or sliced)
- oil (for frying)
- 1In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
- 2In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
- 3Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives.
- 4Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- 5Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- 7Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
- 8After 1 hour, place the dough on a floured counter top. Roll it out into 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into circles with round cookie cutters or biscuit cutters. For large empanadas use 6 inch cutters for empanaditas use 3 inch cutters.
- 9Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
- 11Spread a spoonful of pizza sauce on the circle of dough. Do not go all the way to the edge.
- 12Sprinkle a spoonful of shredded cheese onto the pizza sauce.
- 13Place a couple slices of pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- 14Fold the dough and filling into a half circle shape and crimp the edges with a fork. If the edges won't stay sealed you can dip the fork in water before crimping or use an egg wash.
- 15Fry the filled empanadas at 360 degrees for 1 to 2 minutes per side. They should be lightly golden. Drain on paper towels.
- 16Tip: Do not overfill the empanadas. They will tear and you will lose your filling in the oil.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Empanada
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.1
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 656.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 11.8 g