Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A spicy, complex and filling dish that works as both a side and a main course. You might try adding a fried egg on top with an extra drizzle of harissa. Adapted from Generation Foodie.
- 1 cup dry quinoa (red or white)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water (or veggie broth)
- 1 -2 tablespoon harissa (test for your spicy threshhold)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, washed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1⁄2 juice and lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium pot, saute onion, garlic and carrot in olive oil on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med-low and simmer until water is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- When water is absorbed, stir in remaining ingredients and serve warm or cold.