Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The main ingredients for this old fashioned candy are mashed potato and confectioners' sugar. Salted peanuts can be substituted for shredded coconut for a different taste. Best to use left over chilled mash potatoes. This candy tastes just like a PeterPaul mound. You can put an Almond on top of each candy ball and it will taste like an Almond Joy.
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the potato, salt and vanilla and the coconut. Sift the confectioners sugar over potato, stirring and adding about 1 cup at a time. Mixture will liquefy when first sugar is added then gradually begin to thicken.
- When it becomes the consistency of stiff dough, knead it even though not all the sugar has been added.
- After kneading, cover with a damp cloth and chill until a small spoonful can be rolled into a ball. Shape in small 1/2 inch balls. Dip balls in melted chocolate then roll in peanuts or coconut.