Recipe by Christine L.
This recipe comes from an old hospital auxiliary cookbook. Not too sweet, but satisfying! Can use your favorite jam instead of the filling recipe below.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine or 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb dates
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to a 1/2" thick rectangle with long side facing you.
- Spread with jam or the date filling.
- Roll up like a jelly roll and seal edge.
- If necessary, refrigerate dough for an hour, or overnight.
- Cut into slices about 1/2" thick, and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10- 15 minutes.
- Filling: Chop dates and nuts.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Add the dates and cook briefly until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in nuts.