Recipe by Sonatina
These were my favorite cookies growing up. I always requested my mother make them for my birthday. They look gorgeous - the mere sight of them filled me with excitement. Their other main appeal is that the dough tastes pastry-like. It's very delicious and I've never had another cookie that tastes anything like it.
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 30 wooden sticks
- candy sprinkles (I like having at least 2 different colors)
- 30 M&M's
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat margarine, cream cheese, and egg yolk until smooth.
- Stir in flour and baking powder and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly beat egg white and set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough (half at a time) into 15x9-inch rectangle.
- Cut dough into 3-inch squares. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Brush the dough with egg white.
- Lightly press about 1.5 inches of wooden stick into the bottom center of each dough square.
- Cut diagonally through dough from each corner to within a half inch of the center of each square.
- Sprinkle sprinkles onto the dough. (I like making each pinwheel have two alternating colors).
- Fold alternate points of the sections of the square to the center to form the windmill, overlapping and pinching gently to seal in center.
- Press one M&M in the center of each windmill.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 9-12 minutes or til set.
- Using spatula, immediately remove from cookie sheets.