Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 3 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 8 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup solid butter flavor shortening (Crisco)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar and then white chocolate chips - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- PINK POLKA DOT COOKIES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 3/4 cup buttermilk, 8 drops food coloring, 1/2 cup solid butter-flavored shortening, 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, first mix the buttermilk with the food coloring, then beat in the shortening, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.