Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
Here's how the calories & fat have been reduced: - using light butter in place of regular butter - replacing the oil with applesauce - using low-fat buttermilk instead of whole milk - using egg whites instead of whole eggs
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light butter, melted
- 6 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 cup unbleached flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2⁄3 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400*. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and butter. Divide evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Place a cherry half, cut side up, in the center if each muffin cup. Divide the pineapple evenly among the cups. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the unbleached or all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and ginger. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla extract. Scrape into the well in the flour mixture. Stir just until the batter is moistened.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto the rack and serve warm or at room temperature (If topping sticks to the pan, scoop it up and spread it back onto the muffins with a knife.).