Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make those leftover sweet potatoes taste superb!!
- 1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked
- 2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) cansliced pineapple, , in its own juice,undrained
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon minced candied ginger
- Prepare pastry shell, set aside.
- Combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, half and half, egg, butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, mix well.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes, or until set in centre, cool.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Pour reserved juice into small saucepan.
- Add cornstarch, stir until dissolved.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and translucent.
- Stir in ginger and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cut pineapple slices in half, arrange pineapple over pie in a pinwheel pattern, spoon topping over pineapple.
- Garnish with whipped cream.
OMG!!!! We loved this. I will definately make again(and again). I think we are sweet potatoed out for now though. The kids all picked sweet potato something for their dinners. This was really pretty when done and I will take it for family gatherings from now on.