Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the The American Country Inn and Bed and breakfast Cookbook, vol.2. Perfect accompaniment to a holiday ham or turkey. Assemble the night before - cook the next morning. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Easy to transport too!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 5 slices white bread, remove the crust and cut into cubes
- Butter bottom and sides of a casserole dish (I use a deep, round casserole).
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- One by one, add the eggs, beating on medium for 30 seconds after you add each one.
- Gently fold in the drained pineapple to the creamed egg mixture.
- Toss the cubed bread into casserole dish.
- Pour the pineapple/egg mixture over the bread.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and put in the refridgerator overnight.
- Remove plastic a bake at 350F for 1 hour .
- Cover with foil until time to serve.
Except for cutting the amount of sugar back to 3/4 cup, I did follow the recipe & we had a wonderfully tasty dish (one of several) when my son & DIL were here for breakfast last week! And, as much as we liked it as given, I'd like to try it another time with some nutty, whole grain bread that I often use in bread puddings! Either way, the recipe will be kept around! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
Good! I used 5 eggs, 7 slices of bread to fill a round Corningware baking dish. Still good! To use demerara sugar and avoid graininess, melt butter and blend sugar into it for 5-7 minutes with and electric mixture.