Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
So simple and easy I hesitate to submit this recipe, but everyone loved it! Using pineapple in place of the usual oil and water called for on the package mix makes this cake much lower in fat and very moist! Substitute another flavoring, such as rum extract, for the orange extract if you like.
- Note:*** Do NOT add the water and oil stated on the box of cake mix.
- The Pineapple and juice replace these two ingredients and make it lower in fat and more moist.
- In bowl, add dry cake mix, pineapple with juice, eggs and orange extract.
- Beat just until mixed.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Note: I wrapped outer edge of cake with Magi-cake strips which prevents the outside edges from becoming browned before the cake is done; however, this is optional.
- Mix orange extract and powdered sugar to make a glaze.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Note:*** I have made this in 6 mini-angelfood cake pans and baked for 23 minutes.
- They were the first cakes sold at the bake sale.
I loved the flavor of this cake, and I always love recipes that use fruit to replace fat. My only complaint with this is that it's so moist, it doesn't cut very neatly. I brought a pan to my favorite guinea pigs at work, and the cake was positively mangled halfway through the pan. If you're a stickler for presentation, cut this one yourself carefully before serving it. Good stuff anyhow, the pan still disappeared before the end of the day.
I had pretty much the same experience as the other two reviewers: good taste, very moist. Mine did cut fairly well, though. I also found that, probably because of the amount of fruit, the cake didn't rise very high; it was about the thickness of brownie bars rather than the usual cake. I think that rather than drain the pineapple, I would cut down the amount--either a 15-oz. can or if those aren't readily available in your area, two of the little 8-oz. ones. Also, I didn't use the extract, because I don't have it (and don't like orange extract much). The cake tasted fine without the extract, and I iced it rather than putting the glaze on it, which may be one reason mine cut a little better.
I chose this recipe for Zaar tag before Muffin Goddess reviewed it, but I have to agree with her, this was a very MOIST cake. I think I will try this again, but drain the pineapple first.