Recipe by Debbie R.
Dr. and Mrs. Turner brought this cake regularly to meetings of the Mid-Ohio Scottish Heritage Association. I always made sure to leave room on my plate for this dessert! The recipe was published in "The Centennial Cookbook of the Daughters of Scotland". Cooking time includes overnight chilling.
Top Review by SusieQusie
What a hit this dessert was! 6 people polished off 3/4 of it before I could get out of the kitchen to grab my share! Thanks to the chef, I found the "whipped dessert topping" - aka Dream Whip - blast from my past - pre-Cool Whip era. ;-) (note- if you elect to sub Cool Whip or whipped cream - 1 ( 2.5g) envelope of topping, prepared, yields 2 cups so you would need 6 cups total) The prep - This goes together easily and despite my misgivings, came out of the bowl intact. I found that the extra-wide plastic wrap was easier for lining the bowl than waxed paper. The taste - a mild, creamy pineapple flavor. Might benefit from a shot of pineapple extract to make it shine. - This would also be a fun recipe to tweak using different flavors and fruits - strawberry comes to mind. Thanks, Debbie R., for sharing this!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopesknox unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 (2 1/2 g) packages whipped dessert topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1 prepared angel food cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatine in cold water. Add boiling water, sugar, juice, pineapple and salt. Mix well. Refrigerate until partly jelled.
- Prepare 2 packages whipped topping mix according to directions. Fold into jelled mixture.
- Line a large mixing bowl with waxed paper or extra-wide plastic wrap. Break the angel food cake into 1-inch chunks. In the lined mixing bowl, make layers of cake and jelled mixture, alternating and finishing with jelled mixture.
- Chill overnight.
- Next day, prepare 1 package whipped topping mix. Take cake from refrigerator and turn upside down on large plate. Remove bowl and waxed paper. Frost with whipped topping mix. Chill until serving time.
- NOTE: If you substitute Cool Whip or whipped cream, you will need six cups. However, I can't speak to the results of using those ingredients.