Received this recipe in an email; the picture sold me. Could also add a little coconut to give it that "tropical" flavor. Posting for future use... *cooling time not included in prep/cooking times*
- Pineapple Filling:
- Mix 1 cup crushed pineapple and juice (8 1/4-ounce can), 1 cup sugar, 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch, 1 Tablespoon butter, and 1 cup water in saucepan.
- Cook until thickened, cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together shortening and sugar thoroughly.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in rolled oats.
- Press and flatten half of the mixture over bottom of a 13 x 9 1/2 x 2 inch greased pan.
- Spread with cooled filling.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture, patting lightly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While warm cut into bars and remove from pan.