Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
An old standby.
- Cut shortening into flour and salt until it has pea sized lumps. Sprinkle in cold water 1 tb at a time, tossing with a fork until flour is moistened and pastry almost clears side of bowl.
- Gather pastry into a ball, shape into flattened round on lightly floured board. Roll out evenly with floured rolling pin to two inches larger than inverted pie pan. Trim if necessary.
- Fold pastry into quarters, align point with center of pie pan and unfold. Press into corners and crimp the edges.
- For one crust pie, fill and bake as directed. For blind baked pie shell, prick bottom with fork and bake at 475 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, until lightly brown and cool before filling. For two crust pie, make a double batch, fill pie and lay other crust over top, crimping edges of two crusts together (be sure to cut slits in top for steam).
- Tip: to keep crimped edges from excessive browning, cover with strips of foil until the last 15 minutes of baking.
*Made for PAC Spring 2008* This was a terrific basic pie crust, light and flaky. I used it to make recipe #273552. Very easy and very tasty. Thanks for sharing.