Recipe by Chez Crinklebug
This is a wonderful recipe, adjust at will. Not everyone is a fan of cilantro...just adjust the recipe to fit you! It's hard to mess up, just give it a shot.
- 1 lb of your favorite tomatoes (plum, cherry, beefsteak, pear)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lime (NOT from a bottle or plastic "lime," just cause you can squeeze it doesn't make it taste right!)
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce (NOT KETCHUP!)
Directions See How It's Made
- SOAK AND RINSE ALL OF YOUR PRODUCE!
- Dice tomatoes and put into a medium size glass bowl.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Salt lightly.
- Roll lime until it is very squeezy. Cut in half and juice one half over tomatoes.
- Dice onion and add to bowl.
- Salt lightly (removes bitterness).
- Juice other half of lime over onion.
- Chop cilantro as you wish, coarse or fine--if you don't like it omit it! If you love it, use the whole bunch! (Don't twist the cilantro, chop it, as bruised cilantro can lend an unfavorable flavor)
- ~Now, you can mix this and eat as is, to have the pico de gallo Baja style, or~.
- Add salsa verde, mix well and serve or store up to 4 hours.
- *For spicier pico de gallo, add a jalepeno or two!
- **For salsa, add tomato sauce and salt to taste.
- Eat with tortilla chips, quesadillas, tacos, burritos, omelets, or add another can of tomato sauce, salt, heat and eat as soup -- my favorite!
- Double this recipe or triple for potlucks and family get togethers.