Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Pico de Gallo translates to "rooster's beak" in English (when you dip tortilla chips into it, your thumb and forefinger loosely resemble a pecking chicken). Didn't you always wonder where the name came from?
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped (I prefer to peel them and seed them first)
- 118.29 ml sweet onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 44.37 ml lime juice
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- Stir together all ingredients; serve with tortilla chips, on scrambled eggs, as a fat-free salad dressing, etc.
I have been looking for a good salsa type recipe for my spanish husband... and then it occurred to me that he might not like salsa but be looking for more of a pico type dish. Needless to say, we tried this one and it was fantastic. I halved the recipe just in case he didn't like it, and I put a little less onion in it and it was still fantastic. The next time I make it, I will make it as is in the recipe and probably double it. I had no idea he would eat the whole bowl! It was great! Thanks!
Excellent pico! I have realized I do not like cooked salsa (the kind that comes in a jar). Fresh is the only way for me! This recipe is super-easy to make, and the flavors are great.
Great recipe, easy and simple! first time I made it I used purple onion DON"T DO IT! much too strong, but that was my fault:) Thanks for posting Sharlene~W