Recipe by Malriah
New Orleans original red beans and rice meat ingredient. I can't eat beans with out it! Sometimes I totally leave out the sausage and put in extra pickle meat! Cook time includes refrigeration time.
Top Review by BeachGirl
Delicious! We love anything pickled, and this pork was yummy by itself or over rice. I took some, chopped it up, added Carolina BBQ sauce and made sandwiches. It was great! Kari, thanks for a very good recipe I'll be making often.
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Louisiana hot sauce or tabasco)
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 12 peppercorns
- 6 -10 cloves garlic (depending on taste)
- 2 lbs boneless pork butt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything except pork butt in a sauce pan and boil for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- While seasoning is cooling, cut pork butt into 2 inch pieces.
- Combine pork butt and seasoning mixture in a container with a tight fitting cover.
- Stir to remove bubbles.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 days.
- Use when making red beans and rice (just throw a cup or two in with the beans while they cook).