8 hrs 15 mins
Chef #1352632's Note:
This was in the Jan 2014 issue of "Better Homes & Gardens," page 73. I wanted to keep the recipe but not the magazine, so I'm posting it here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 64 ounces dill pickles, drained
- 6 chicken thighs or 2 1/2-2 3/4 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 2 dill pickles, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1Drain pickles, reserving brine (about 4 cups). Place pickles in an air-tight container. Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Add the chicken to the brine in a container, jar or baggie; seal. Chill 8-24 hours.
- 2Preheat oven to 475* F. Remove chicken from brine; pat dry with paper towels. Discard brine. In a small bowl combine flour and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture; shake off any excess.
- 3In a large, heavy ovenproof skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down; sear until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Turn chicken; transfer skillet to oven. Bake 15 minutes or until juices run clear (180*F). Remove from oven. Transfer chicken to platter; let rest 5 minutes.
- 4Return skillet to stove. Remove fat from skillet, reserving 1 Tbsp in the pan. Return skillet to heat. Add wine; bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan until wine nearly evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add broth; bring to boiling until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 2 minutes. Stir in butter. Season to taste with pepper. Remove from heat; stir in dill. Pour sauce over chicken. Top with chopped pickles and red sweet peppers before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickle-Brine Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.8
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 84.0 mg
- Sodium 3038.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 19.4 g