1/1 Photo of Pho Ga (Chicken Noodle Soup)
3 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from “Vietnamese Home Cooking.” To save on time get the stock cooking and shred the cooked chicken and chop garnishes while you wait.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 quarts water
- 1 bunch green onion, dark green cut off for soup, white and light green thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 pieces fresh ginger, 2 inches each, left whole and crushed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (to taste)
- 3 lbs chicken breast halves, bone & skin on
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken wings, backs, and necks
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package rice vermicelli, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil
- 3 cups fresh mung bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and thinly sliced (remove seeds first, if you like)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- chili-garlic sauce, such as sriracha (for serving)
- 1In a soup pot, bring the water, scallions, ginger, and salt to a boil.
- 2Add the chicken breasts and return to a boil. Skim well.
- 3Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Turn the burner off, cover the pan, and let the chicken sit for 15 minutes.
- 5Transfer the chicken to a bowl of ice water. Let it sit for 15 minutes more.
- 6Meanwhile, put the chicken wings, backs, and necks into a large heatproof bowl. Bring a tea kettle of water to a boil and pour it over the chicken pieces. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Drain the chicken and rinse with cold water.
- 7Add the chicken pieces and brown sugar to the pot of stock from the breasts.
- 8Return the liquid to a boil. Skim the surface thoroughly. Cook, skimming often, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 9With a large slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces, ginger, and scallions.
- 10Drain the chicken breasts, pat them dry, and discard the skin and bones.
- 11Shred the meat with your hands. Add it and the noodles to the pot of chicken stock. Add a small handful of scallions and half the cilantro. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with Thai basil, sprouts, lime, jalapeno, fish sauce, and chili-garlic sauce.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pho Ga (Chicken Noodle Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (1303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1300.3
- Calories from Fat 575
- Total Fat 63.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 349.2 mg
- Sodium 2136.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 100.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: